Captain Howell Davis is a keen surfer and has been hitting the waves in Newquay. He’s compiled a list of the 5 best surf spots in Newquay for all you landlubbers!
- Fistral – The home of UK surfing, Fistral Beach is a hot spot for surfing and the best waves in Newquay can be found here. Many surf competitions are held here throughout the year but it’s not just for the professionals and a number of surf schools are available on the beach.
- Towan – The closest beach to Pirate’s Quest and Captain Howell Davis’ favourite! Why not become a crew member and then take a trip down to Towan Beach? Down on Towan you can also visit the Blue Reef Aquarium or take a trip to Newquay Harbour.
- Tolcarne – Found in the middle of Newquay’s bay, Tolcarne Beach, with it’s colourful beach huts is tucked into the steep cliff face. Surf hire and lessons are available at the bottom of the steps here.
- Lusty Glaze – Voted The Sunday Times 2017 Beach of the year, Lusty Glaze is a favourite in the town. The cove shaped beach means smaller waves, perfect for beginners! Jet ski hire is also available here for the more adventurous seafarers.
- Holywell Bay – A popular filming location due to its dramatic rock faces and cliffs, Holywell has featured frequently in BBC’s Poldark however is also a favourite with surfers.
There are many surf schools operating within Newquay and Captain Howell Davis recommends getting lessons before walking the plank on the high seas surrounding Newquay. All of the above beaches are covered by lifeguards in the summer months however check the RNLI website for more details.